Thursday 12 January 2012

12 Weeks

Evie was 12 weeks yesterday. My little pumpkin is starting to resemble a little person and not a newbie. This is so exciting and everyday I notice another trick she's learnt, a different sound or facial expression. This is all part of her growing, developing and learning. A small part of me feels a little pang when I notice how much she is NOT that precious little poppet we met 12 weeks ago. Instead she is a larger, more interesting funner version!

So what have we learnt about 12 week old Evie?

  • She is a total telly bug. I am aware that she has no clue of the actual content. It's the movement, the colour and the sound. But I love that I have a little companion to watch charmed with and my other poor choices of TV. So much so that recently when winding her, her head craned round almost 180 degrees to still look at the telly. My little owl :)

  •  Not only is it the TV that catches her eye, Evie is also a budding web surfer, She likes to sit on Daddy's lap and dribble over the keyboard.
"this broadband's a bit slow Mum!"


  • We still have sleeve issues. At first I thought it was being too hot or too cold that she complained about when getting dressed and undressed but I've narrowed it down to the sleeves. She really hates having her arms put through her vests, babygros, t-shirts and especially this jacket. See below for unimpressed post traumatic sleeve disorder face.
  • We had Evie's first Christmas. This is built up into such a massive hype for new babies and their families. Every store has Christmas outfits and hats with '1st Xmas!' emblazoned all over. Now I'm not a misery guts, I promise, but I had to request that people weren't too generous with Evie and presents. How ungrateful am I?! Hear me out. We live in a tiny 1 bed flat. After she was born and the congratulations gifts flooded in, for a while it looked like mothercare threw up in my bedroom. Plus, to Evie, every day is Christmas. Or it might as well be. So our friends and family kept on top of their fantastic generosity and contained the urge to spoil her rotten. We received a few select lovely gifts that she'll get good use out of and appreciate.  Including this babies baby that has been strategically placed into her arms. It's different textures and has different noises when you squeeze it. Currently it's purely another prop to mop up the dribble.

  • Ah. The dribble. This is a recent addition to her repertoire. Massive amounts of dribble 24/7. I mop it up, it reappears instantly. Is it teething? It certainly seems that it could be as it's combined with lots of chewing on her first and fingers. My HV however seems to think it's not and explained that the fingers in the mouth thing is exploratory and also a bit self soothing. In fact, when the thumb does make it in she does give a sigh and give it a suck for a minute or so. The other day, the thumb made it in but the index finger was unfortunately popped up the nose. Comfort and discomfort all in one. So we are now reliant on bibs. I'd rather change 5 bibs a day than 5 tops. And 5 is a good day!

  • Hair. We have hair! Evie was born with a fair amount of hair, well enough to give adequate scalp coverage.... Then I bought her home and gave her a bath. One swipe of the sponge over the top of her head removed a great lump of it in one go. I cried. Don't judge me. I know it's perfectly normal. But I really didn't want my baby girl looking like Sven Goran Erikkson. These last few weeks though we have had regrowth. Lots of regrowth! Lovely soft, fluffy hair to cover her little noggin.

  • We've gone into a big girls cot. Right next to my side of the bed with the side down. This is so much easier for me to feed her in the night. It also means that she can see me if she needs reassurance that I'm there. It also means that when she wakes up for her 1, 3 and 5am feeds (!!) I am greeted with the hugest smile and more recently, a very piercing excited squeal! Super cute and makes the night feeds much more bearable.

  • We've also learnt that the over the cot mobile doesn't work when it comes to calming her down and sending her to sleep. Oh no no no no no. What's the exact opposite of that? Crazy excitement. She stares and coos and does the crazy robot dance when you turn it on. If it's not on, she simply stares at it, does the robot dance, stares at me, does the robot dance until I turn it on. Not what works for just before bedtime!

  • Bedtime is a totally different blog post. I'm not ashamed to say, I've not quite got that down to a tee yet. Partly I think I haven't got the right combination of feeds and timings right yet, also though there have been so many differing factors. Going from Moses basket to cot. Staying over at my Mums in her pram bassinet. Spending a week up in Darlington in totally alien environments. Growth spurts. Vaccinations etc. All these can confuse and upset a baby. I might write a bed time conundrum post separately,

  • Evie has reached a whole stone in weight. Yep. 14lb 1.5oz at last weigh in. That's a nice solid, sturdy weight. She outgrew her 0-3 month clothes about 3-4 weeks ago. There were 3 babygros that fitted her on when we arrived in Darlington and didn't when we left a week later. It almost seems like Evie has been having a growth spurt for 2-3 weeks. It can't be. I think she's just got a healthy appetite. And all on my breast milk which I'm so happy about. If the day feeds could become a little more regular and the night feeds not so much, I'd be even happier!
What have Evie and I got planned over the next few weeks then? Well we have the 2nd set of jabs on Tuesday. This time I'm being brave and taking her. Last time Daddy came and I sobbed in the next room. I'm starting Baby signing classes next Thursday which I'm super excited about. I'm hoping to give Evie the tools to communicate her needs to me before she can talk.
I'm hoping to start Buggy-cise. Basically its exercising with your buggy in the park. We'll see about that. I can't run in these nursing bras so I'm not sure how much good it'll do me.
We have another shoot booked in for the 26th with the Cocoon photography ladies. I can't wait to see how she'll look in these photos. The last ones were so amazing.

Until then

Dribbly kisses xx

    No comments:

    Post a Comment